Getting a DFA Certified LTO Certification (Red Ribbon)

Getting a DFA Certified LTO Certification Red Ribbon

A week before our landing, after much pondering, I decided to get an LTO Certification with Ribbon so I can drive in Canada under a G2 license without having to undergo G1 (Student License) training and examination.

Surprisingly, this process is not too tedious. Overall, even  though I’m dealing with two Philippine government agencies, it just took me a total of 35 minutes, which by Philippine government service standards is extremely rare. Anyway, below are the steps you need to do:

LTO Main Office (5-10 minutes to complete)

  1. Photocopy your Driver’s License and License OR (do bring the original document)
  2. Go to LTO Main Office located on East Ave, Quezon City
  3. Go to Window 10, you can ask the security guards, it is within the vicinity of the chapel
  4. Usually, there’s no line so just approach the officer and tell him/her that you’ll be applying for a DFA certified LTO Certification. Give them the photocopy of your license and OR.
  5. The officer will give you a stub and will ask you to pay in Window 3.
  6. Return to window 10 with the receipt, the officer will give you a claim stub that you will use when claiming the LTO certification from DFA Aseana after 5 business days (claim date is indicated in the stub)

DFA Aseana (30-40 minutes to complete)

  1. Go to Gate 2 then drop your claim stub in window 4 (Be sure to check the claim date in the stub to ensure that your LTO has already forwarded your certification to DFA.) then wait for your name to be called either from window 5 or window 7.
  2. Once your name is called, the officer will give you a payment slip that you need to bring to window 9 (Be sure to remove the stapled payment slip from the other documents to avoid delay). The cashier will give you a receipt.
  3. Bring the receipt together with all the documents given to you in window 7 or 5 to window 9 and write your name in the claimant registration form. Sit down and wait for your name to be called again.
  4. Once your name is called (either from window 5,6 or 7), line up and get your DFA Certified (red ribbon) documents. Ensure that you have two documents (the DFA certification and The LTO certification) and that the details are correct.

Although the process is quite fast, I believe they can make it faster. Maybe by having a DFA processor in LTO or the other way around.

I’m lagging behind on my blog posts, as of writing, I’m already in Canada and I’m writing this entry at 3AM due to jet lag. The next post will be about our departure and arrival.



  • Reply Christi rey jay tuzara |

    Is it possible i can get a lto certification with red ribbon thru athorization letter?i will send all the requirements but im not the one who will process..

    • Kulas Reply Kulas |

      Hey Christi,

      I think you can do this. Just ensure that you have a valid authorization letter with ID.


    • Reply brian b |

      UPDATE: window 5 na ang for certification… kakagaling ko sa LTO 7/19/2018.

    • Reply Michael Angelo Brinas |

      hi Christi Rey,
      Have you done it already, getting a red ribbon lto certification thru a representative by authorization letter.

      Thank you in advance…

  • Reply isarinna |


    just wondering so the claiming will be 5 business days?

    My husband is from davao and just going to manila for few days for seminar and to get a LTO certification,

    would he be able to let them mail it to him in davao? instead of coming back to manila to claim it?

    i really need your help here.. thank you


    • Kulas Reply Kulas |

      Hi Isa,

      I’m not sure about mailing. I believe what you can do is to ask or get a representative to pick it up for you.

      I was pondering about using this when I was in Singapore, http://www.pakisuyo.com/errands probably worth a shot to check with them.


  • Reply Pao |


    Thanks for the info. I just want to ask, is the OR really needed? I had my license since 2014 so i already lost the OR. Can i still have my licensed certified?



    • Kulas Reply Kulas |

      Hi Paul,

      That’s what is required. I’m not sure if it’s ok not to have an OR. At the end of the day, if you don’t have it anymore, what can they do. Try calling LTO to check.


  • Reply Jl gissab |

    Hi sir may i know hoe much it will cost if im going to get redribbon. And if it is possible on non prof license. Thank you sir. Plz help me

    • Kulas Reply Kulas |

      Hi Ji,

      I’ve forgotten the amount. But looking at other blogs regatding this, it will cost around 700 for everything.


  • Reply Jetro Aguilar |

    Hi sir.
    Im already in korea and my Drivers license has just expired last April and its in the PH. Is it possible to have it certified with my license expired? thankyou

    • Kulas Reply Kulas |

      Hi Jetro,

      I’m not too sure, but, I think you have to renew it first. Probably what you can try to do is to renew and have it certified as well.


  • Reply sabel |

    Hello Kulas,

    Gusto ko sana malaman kung same day lng ang pagkuha mo ng DL Certification and DFA Authenticated docs?

    Yung purpose ko kasi ay for conversion ng DL sa France. Another question, how many months or year valid yung authenticated DL Cert? Thank you im advance.

    • Kulas Reply Kulas |

      Hi Sabel,

      No. I got my DL cert first then I asked LTO to submit it for DFA certification. Got the authenticated docs a week after.

      Authenticated docs if Im not mistaken us valid for a year.


  • Reply Aldrin |

    Hello, Do you know any liable agencies here in Philippines that will help process Certification and Red Ribbon of Driver license. Thank you

  • Reply Brando |

    Good day.
    Ask ko lang po kung pwede ung papel na driver’s license sa pagpa-red ribbon ng license kase di pa sa akin naibibigay ng LTO ang Card license ko kase wait ko pa ang plane ticket para ASAP po nilang maibigay sakin ung card ko.
    Salamat po sa magiging katugonan mo.

    • Kulas Reply Kulas |

      Hey Brando,

      I think it wilk work. If there’s no driver’s license card, then the paper one will work. Try calling LTO and DFA to be sure. But I think it’s possible.


  • Reply Maria Realou Entredicho |

    Hello po, a friend of mine asked me to help him to get lto certification and red ribbon it from dfa. I have his authorization letters for both agency, his original license, original o.r and photocopy of his passport. Question, are these documents enough to get him his red ribbon license? Thanks po

    • Kulas Reply Kulas |

      Hi Maria,

      Better call DFA or LTO. I am not really sure. Sometimes, they may need a power of attorney but I am not an expert here.


  • Reply Erwin |

    Hi, just finished applying in LTO main. And yes, it only took me around 10-15 minutes. I paid Php100.

    Thank you so much sir for the tips! ?

  • Reply Genesis |

    Hello po, anong kailangan na LTO certification kapag ang nagpa process ay nasa Canada..?

    • Kulas Reply Kulas |

      Hi Genesis,

      Not sure. But most probably SPA. Call LTO and see if it’s possible.


    • Kulas Reply Kulas |

      Hey Zel,

      I have no personal experience with them but you can read reviews. It seems legit.


Let me know about your thoughts.